Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Des Moines Register Endorsement: Mitt Romney

Wow, two stories from my home state of Iowa in one day, my lucky day!

Now for those not from Iowa, this probably isn't a terribly surprising headline. Iowa after all is a "toss-up" state according to most election projections and as such the paper's endorsement would be something of a toss-up as well.



For those who do live or have lived in Iowa, this endorsement is a bit of a mixed one. Many folks back home (especially those who live where I grew up) often seen The Des Moines Register as something of a "liberal rag" and in such a heated race are probably a little surprised by this endorsement. Personally, I'm not. While I don't deny the DMR has something of a left-lean from time to time, it also has no problem with including stories from more right-leaning columnists like Charles Krauthammer on a regular basis as well.

I personally enjoyed reading the DMR every Sunday, especially come election time. For one, the paper on a regular basis has a featured called "Your 2 Cents Worth" in which they publish a small number of short responses from everyday folks on the news of the day. Sometimes they're clever, sometimes a bit crude. Regardless of their content, their inclusion in the paper tells a lot about how good of a news source they are.

 This endorsement is further proof of that quality in my opinion. The paper's decision is not an overly partisan one and while I don't want to sum up the entire article, I think this quote about covers the feelings of not only the paper but also many back in Iowa:

"The president’s best efforts to resuscitate the stumbling economy have fallen short. Nothing indicates it would change with a second term in the White House."

I strongly recommend this story to my readers because I think it's a good inside look into the thinking of many Iowans as well as many Americans.

The Register endorsement: Mitt Romney offers a fresh economic vision - The Des Moines Register

Disclaimer
Any opinions and/or views expressed in the above piece are purely those of the author and not of any political or non-political organization. Any re-posting of this work MUST include this disclaimer.

No comments:

Post a Comment